Sunday, August 26, 2007

poem on loss

This poem was given to me by the Chaplain at orientation for the hospital volunteering. I really liked it and it speaks to my philosophy on loss:

Dont' tell me you understand.
Don't tell me that you know.
Don't tell me that I will survive,
That I will surely grow.

Don't tell me this is a test,
That I am surely blessed,
That I am chosen for this task,
Apart from all the rest.

Don't come at me with answers,
That can only come from me.
Don't tell me my grief will pass,
That I will soon be free.

Don't stand in pious judgement,
Of the bounds I must unite,
Don't tell me how to suffer,
And don't tell me how to cry.

My life is filled with selfishness,
My pain is all I see,
But I need you, I need your love,
Unconditionally.

Accept me in my ups and downs,
I need someone to share,
Just hold my hand and let me cry,
And say "My friend, I care."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pam,
What a great poem. I just got home from visiting with my Dad who is dying of cancer. He bought a winter coat and complained about the cost of strawberries!!
What is inspiring to me about this poem is that it says two important things to me. Firstly, non-judgment; I'm waiting for non-judgment day and try to practice this in my daily living, secondly how important it is to love someone unconditionally. Thank you for sharing this poem.

Duc Hoang Le said...

It's a very good poem. I've found the poem very soothing for me at this point of my life.